The General Skilled Migration (GSM) Worker Visa to Australia is a Permanent Resident (PR) Visa to Australia that is issued by the Australian government and authorizes qualified foreign nationals and their eligible family members who accompany them to live, work and study legally and long-term in Australia.
The Skilled Migrant Category is a points system based on factors such as age, work experience, your qualifications, and an offer of skilled employment. You must also be aged 55 or under, and meet English language, health, and character requirements.
This Skilled Migration Visa is for points-tested skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer or family member or nominated by a state or territory government. It allows you to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident.
The first step is to find out more about the visas that are available to you on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website. If you have skills or qualifications that Australia needs, you can be: nominated for a skilled visa by an employer nominated for a skilled visa by a state or territory government.
Only certain occupations are approved for use under Australia’s permanent and temporary skilled visa programmes. These occupations are listed in a legislative instrument that contains two schedules or ‘occupation lists’ that apply to different visa programmes.
On 19 April 2017, the:
· Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) replaced the previous ‘Skilled Occupation List’ (SOL) and is available in Schedule 1 of the relevant legislative instrument
· Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) replaced the previous ‘Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List’ (CSOL) and is available in Schedule 2 of the relevantlegislative instrument.
The information below explains which lists are relevant for particular visa programmes. Information is also provided about occupations that were removed from the list of eligible skilled occupations on 19 April 2017.
Note: different eligible occupation arrangements are in place for the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 187).
You must nominate an occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) if you are applying for any of the below:
· Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) - Family nominated
· Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) – Graduate Work Stream.
There is no separate STSOL list on our website as visa programmes that utilise this list can also access some additional occupations on the MLTSSL. For ease of reference, we have combined both the STSOL and the eligible MLTSSL occupations together. See: Combined list of eligible skilled occupations.
You must nominate an occupation on this Combined list of eligible skilled occupationsif you are applying for any of the below:
· Employer Nominated Scheme (subclass 186) – Direct Entry Stream
· Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) - State or Territory nominated
· Training visa (subclass 407) - Nomination eligibility type 2 – Occupational training to enhance skills in an eligible occupation